What is CSA?
A CSA (community-supported agriculture) is a subscription to a season’s worth of locally grown produce. Fresh, nutritious produce is provided to CSA members by a local farmer throughout the growing season.
With Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), a consumer purchases a share (also known as a membership or a subscription) in the farm’s harvest before the season begins and, in return, receives a box of seasonal produce each week throughout the growing season. Shares are usually picked up at the farm, but many offer additional pick-up locations and/or home delivery. This arrangement helps farmers by increasing cash flow early in the season when seeds and equipment need to be purchased and farm labor needs to be paid.
As a CSA member, you make a seasonal commitment to a small farmer in your area. CSA members take pleasure in knowing where and how their food is grown, and typically have an open line of communication with their farmer. Many CSA farms actively teach their members how to use the food they receive each week.
Farm Shares & ASCs
(Agriculture Supporting Community) are similar to CSAs in that members receive a weekly box of produce. Farms Shares, however, are typically delivered to low-income neighborhoods, and members are allowed to pay for their shares weekly at pick-up. This makes fresh, local produce more accessible to people who may not be able to pay for the shares up front. SNAP benefits may also be used to pay for the weekly shares.
are a market-style CSA. Rather than receiving a standard box of vegetables each week, members visit the farm and choose the produce of their choice. CSA shares usually contain vegetables, but some farmers also offer the following great add-ons that make CSAs even more convenient: fruit, eggs, homemade bread, meat, cheese, flowers or other farm products.
There are many CSA offerings in the Greater Lehigh Valley; explore our list of CSAs by pick-up locations to find one that has a pick-up or home delivery option near you, then click on the farm name for more details!
We are in the process of updating our partner profile pages. Once the partner profile pages are updated, we will populate this page with a filter feature like that on the Find Local Food Page but for CSA’s. For the time being, see the list below for a recent list of CSA options:
Sign up for weekly fresh veggies with your local CSA farm:
- Bleiler’s Produce Patch, Breinigsville, Box Style- Pick-up(s) at farm or market(s)
- Clear Spring Farm, Easton, Box Style- Pick-up(s) at farm
- Crooked Row Farm, Orefield, Box & CSA Cash Style- Pick-up(s) at farm store or in Bethlehem
- Hunter Hill CSA, Easton, Market Style, Pick-up(s) at farm
- Josie Porter Farm, Stroudsburg- pre-paid CSA card model, pick-up at farm stand
- Patriot Farms, Lenhartsville, Box Style- Pick-up(s) on the farm or at Hofford Mill in Weissport or Zekraft Cafe in Allentown
- Salvaterra’s Garden, Alburtis, CSA Flex Share- Pick-up(s) at farm or Easton Farmers’ Market- Sold out!
- Taproot Farm, Shoemakersville, Box Style- Pick-up(s) at many different locations
- Terra Fauna Farm, Northampton, Market Style- Pick-up(s) at farm
- The Good Farm, Germansville, Box Style- Pick-up(s) at farm and numerous Lehigh Valley locations
- Willow Haven Farm, New Tripoli, Market-Box Style- multiple pick-up locations & delivery options
Other Farm Shares to Consider:
- Collective Creamery– monthly cheese shares. Collaboration between Birchrun Hills Farm and Valley Milkhouse Creamery.
- Funny Farm Apiaries– Honey Lovers Subscription, monthly shipping/pick-up(s)
- Kromer Meats– Beef shares, Easton pick-up
- Wholesome Food Farm– Beef shares, Alburtis pick-up
- Willow Haven Flowers– Fresh/wild flower subscription, delivery
Thank you for your patience!